ISX-HF ink is an environment-friendly 1 pack type ink series for film insert molding that does not intentionally use halogen compounds（chlorine Cl, bromine Br） in raw materials. It has good adhesion to PC（polycarbonate）sheet and PC type molding resins, and is suitable for Film Insert Molding （FIM） without any binder.
- Automobile nameplate/Molded parts
- Automobile interior
- Home appliance nameplate/Molded parts
Home Appliance (IoT)
Smartphone, Tablet, Smart watch
- Capable of creating design printed materials for film insert molding on PC sheet, easy adhesion treated PET film, etc.
- Capable of insert molded products of PC (polycarbonate), PC/ABS, ABS, PMMA (Acrylic) resins.
- One pack type ink, suitable for sheet forming process such as pressure air, and vacuum forming.
- PC sheet, easy adhesion treated PET film
- G-003 SOLVENT (fast) Z-705 SOLVENT (standard) Z-004 SOLVENT (slow)
- Dilution: 5 to 15%
- *Defoamer may separate over time, please stir well before use.
- SM-40 DEFOAMER less than 1%（For anti-foam and improvement in leveling）
- Screen Cleaner L2
- T 200 to 270 mesh（Coverage is about 35m2/kg at 250 mesh）
- 90℃ 90 min
- Over print
Each layer 80℃ 10 min(tack-free)
Final layer 90℃ 90 min
HF249 LIGHT YELLOW
HF279 OPAQUE REDDISH YELLOW
- Due to the possibilities of contamination with halogen compounds, only designated solvents and catalysts can be used.
- Please check the squeegee rubber, emulsion, materials and substrates before use, as they may contain halogen compounds.
- In the forming process such as vacuum forming, pressure air forming, and mold forming, as well as in insert molding processes that integrate injection molded resin, a complex set of factors affect the performance of the final product, including the selection of printing materials and inks for design printing, printing conditions, printing sequence, drying method and conditions, selection of molding resin, mold design (gate shape, type and position, number of gates), and conditions set during injection molding.
- Preliminary testing under actual conditions is strongly recommended before a commercial run.
- Ink shelf life: 24 months from production date, unopened.
- UN No.: 1210
- UN Classification: Class 3 Flammable Liquids (Flash point is over 23 Degree C)
- Use safety gloves and eyeglasses to protect skin and eyes. If the ink comes in contact with skin, wash with soap and plenty of water (or lukewarm water) and consult with a doctor.
- Containers should be closed tightly after use and stored in a cool and dark place.
- SDS is available upon request. Please request a copy and read it carefully before handling the products.
|Test item||Test Conditions||Test results|
|Adhesion||JIS K 5600-5-6:ISO2409（cross-cut）,1mm interval,6×6, cellophane tape, peel off||0（no peel）|
|Pencil Hardness||JIS K 5600-5-4:ISO 15184（pencil）, 750g weight, Hardness of the pencil which does not make scar||F|
|Heat||ISO 3248: 90℃、400 hrs. check appearance and peel off from the substrate||No defect|
|Hot Water||JIS K 5600-6-2：ISO 2812-2, Soak 48 hrs. in 40℃ hot water, check appearance and peel off||No defect|
|Cool-heat cycling test||JIS K 5600-7-4： 10 cycles, 90℃,2.5hr～25℃,0.5hr～ｰ40℃,2.5hr～25℃,0.5hr check appearance and peel off from the substrate||No defect|
|Humidity||JIS K 5600-7-2（Continuous condensation）：50℃, 95%RH, 168 hrs., check appearance and peel off||No defect|
|Water||Soak 168 hrs. in tap water, check appearance and peel off from the substrate||No defect|
|Acid||Soak 7 hrs. in 5％ H2SO4, check appearance and peel off from the substrate||No defect|
|Alkaline||Soak 7 hrs. in 5％ NaOH, check appearance and peel off||No defect|
|Alcohol||Gakushin scrub tester, cotton soaked ethyl alcohol, weight 200g, 50 back and forth, check peel off||No defect|
|Scrub||Gakushin scrub tester, cotton, weight 500g, 500 back and forth, check color fade||No defect|
|Falling-weight test||JIS K5600-5-3 DuPont Impulse tester, drop 500g weight from 50 cm height||No defect|
|Punching||Punching by press machine||No defect|
- Test conditions 【ISX-HF 679 WHITE, 979 BLACK】 【Z-705 SOLVENT 10%】 【90℃ 90 min】 【T 250】 【Substrate: Polycarbonate】
- Above resistance test results are measured results in our laboratory and they are not guaranteed values.
- Information contained in this catalog may change without prior notice.
What is the meaning of FIM/IMD?
The abbreviations, FIM and IMD, stand for Film Insert Molding and In-Mold Decoration. For these methods, the printed film is set into the mold and molded with molding resin as the finished product.
We recommend reading the FIM/IMD technology White Paper:
(1) FIM/IMD – 3 Process stages & Benefits
(2) FIM/IMD – Screen printing process –
(3) FIM/IMD – Forming process –
(Final) FIM/IMD – Injection process –
We recommend reading the following reports:
Environmentally Friendly FIM/IMD Ink and Binder
IMB-HF006 Binder (Halogen Free, Environmentally Friendly Binder for IMD/FIM)
IPX-HF Screen Ink (2 Pack Halogen Free Environmentally Friendly Ink for IMD/FIM)
2 Pack Ink for FIM/IMD Applications
Adding High Value to Products with FIM/IMD (Part 3)
Adding High Value to Products with FIM/IMD (Part 2)
Adding High Value to Products with FIM/IMD (Part 1)
Teikoku Provides New Color and New Function to Plastic Products
FIM/IMD Technique: FIM Ink Design Technique,Optimization Technique of Forming Conditions
Using FIM/IMD method, can you give us some examples of substrate film and molding resin combinations?
PC, PET, and Acrylic substrate sheets are suitable. Suitable resins are PC, PMMA, PC/ABS, AS, etc. However, PP and Olefin are currently difficult to use because they do not have good adhesiveness to the substrate materials.
What is the difference between Film Insert Molding and In Mold Decoration? Do you use different inks for each?
For the FIM method, the printed surface will be placed between the substrate sheet and the resin. On the other hand, for IMD method, the printed surface will appear on top of the adhered layer of the substrate sheet and the resin. The type ink will depend on the application and your requirements.
What is the largest size that you can use for the Insert Molding Method?
Theoretically, it depends on the capability of molding machine. However, there is an elongation limit of the substrate sheet; it varies depending on the printing materials you are using.
Can you give some examples of the type of industry where a combination of ink and molding method is being used? What would be the actual finished product?
The main industries will be automobile interiors, amusements, and home appliances. Their finished products are such items as speedometers, pinball game machines, water boilers, TVs and possibly as cover material in various other areas.
Do you have any restrictions when you use functional inks for molding inks?
There are some limitations of color hue, glossiness, and other properties. Sometimes, Teikoku Inks is unable to meet a customer’s requirements due to the design of the product.
We found that sometimes when we peel off the print from the injected resin, ink remains on one side or sometimes on both sides. Why does this occur?
In the case of ink remaining on the substrate, adhesion to the injected resin is poor. When ink remains on the injected resin, the adhesion to the substrate is poor. This is delamination. When ink remains on both sides, adhesion to substrate and injected resin are good, but the cohesion of the ink layer is poor. This is a cohesion failure.
The printed layer peeled away from the injected resin. What should we do?
This may be due to a mismatch of ink, substrate and the resin. Please contact our representative.
We have always had good adhesion, but suddenly peeling has occurred. What should we do?
Ink attached so far but it suddenly peeled off. I don’t know what to do.
Please check the following.
(1) Film thickness of printed ink layer
Thinner binder layer tends to have weaker adhesion.
(2) Drying conditions for printed ink layer
If ink doesn’t dry sufficiently, the strength of the printed ink layer becomes weak and cohesive fracture will occur.
(3) Are there any additives such as defoamer contained in ink or binder?
If additive such as defoamer is added in ink, ink’s adhesion to resin tends to be weak.
What are the meanings of X and Q used in the ink names such as IPX, INQ, FMX, etc.?
X and Q are used to designate isophorone-free inks.
Does ISX Ink need a binder?
No, it does not need a binder because ISX ink is a one-pot ink and has good adhesion to injected resin.
What is jet-black ink?
Jet-Black ink is an ink that produces a glossy black finish called “piano black” or “jet black. It achieves a luxurious lacquer-like gloss and unique brilliance, and contributes to the high added value of the products .
Introduction of functional Black ink
- Related technical information
- Technology lecture for FIM/IMD 1st session: Explanation of the merit and 3 process.
- Technology lecture for FIM/IMD 2nd session: Explanation of the screen printing process.
- Technology lecture for FIM/IMD 3rd session: Explanation of the Forming Process.
- Technology lecture for FIM/IMD Final session: Explanation of the Injection Process
- Related event information